Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this, I've had my 6 for about 1 and 1/2 years and have had no problems at all with it. On sunday 5-30-10 I started my car and as I was pulling out, it seemed like I had less power. I ignored it at first, but it got worse and worse as I drove down the road. I would punch it and it would bearly accelerate, finally the car shut off while I was driving. I shifted it to neutral and started it back up and it wouldnt let me rev past 2000-2500 rpms. I had it towed to the mazda dealership, its still in warrenty. I wonder what happened to it.:confused:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Have them check for clogged/failed catalytic converters.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I agree with tkemme. Sounds like plugged pre-cats. These can be hard to diagnose and an inexperienced mechanic may come with some strange reasons for the engine behavior, but it's basically choking on it's own exhuast. The cats should be covered by the mandated emissions warranty for 80K or more miles, so hopefully you're covered. Get both the front, and rear bank pre-cats replaced if you can!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys were right, I called and they said the cat is clogged. It has 60,200 miles.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There are 4 cats total; 2 pre and 2 final. Which one(s) clogged? If the rear precat clogged, have them clean out the EGR tube and valve along with the entire intake manifold. When that rear one clogs, bad stuff starts recirculating back into the engine through the EGR system and can literally destroy your engine in a matter of minutes! Have you read the thread on precat and engine failure? I'll bump it back to the top of the list.

Reactions: DerekMazda6s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 3 yr 100k miles extended warrenty, so it should be covered in it. I didnt ask any detail of which cat was clogged. I'll post back and tell you if it was covered or not. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Everybody on here is very interrested in this, so the more details you can provide the better. Previously it was thought that this problem may be isolated to the 03-05 model years and the exhaust change Mazda did in 06 "fixed" it. Saddly, that appears not to be the case. If at all possible, please post some pictures of the rear precat and EGR system, as that is the one that destroys the engine.

I can't emphasize enough that you be absolutely sure that your engine was not damaged by this. The usual senario is that a few weeks from now you'll be driving and the engine will "sound" a little different, or you will notice a little smoke at idle. You'll take it back to the dealer and somehow you will be low on oil even though you have no leaks???? They'll do a compression test and tell you your engine is shot and that it is your fault because you didn't keep the oil full.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I won't be able to get any pictures, the dealer called and said it is covered on the 8 year/80k miles warranty. I should get it back tomorrow, I hope the engine is not damaged, but fate will determine that.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Warranty or not, ask them what ones they changed. Sorry to be such a pessimist, but ask fate if she has a spare +$4000 for a new motor next time you see her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree...Just went threw it. Clogged cat rear pre-cat and rear cat both failed far as i can tell. It mite just have been the pre-cat then stuff got stuck in back cat. idk. I bought a set of EBS headers and punched out rear cat. Im in the middle of putting them on now. Wish I would have read the header thred before i started and i wouldnt be sitting here waiting till saturday for the special order bolts. By the way that mystery bolt on the alt is a m8-1.25x90mm. well that is the size you need for the spacing at 1.5 inch. Anyways hopefully your engine is still good. I had to replace mine and when i picked up the car after the swap he then said oh yeh the cat is clogged so u cant drive far. OMFG what an asshole. SO ANYBODY WHO IS IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS NEVER EVER GO TO TUCKER AUTO REPAIR IN EAST PEORIA. It was only 2700 for motor and labor but im still working on it and its been 2 weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts