Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved from Los Angeles, CA to Vancouver, WA, half way through my trip my mazda started to overheat for a couple seconds then go back down. I replaced the water pump because I noticed a leak in it however, my mazda is still overheating and I’m noticing a small leak from the water pump area. What could this be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you replace the thermostat?
If not that will be the problem.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I have not noticed any leaks from the thermostat and I can hear it still working. Could it still be that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you put the right pump on it? Itll cost almost $300 for the correct one from Mazda. IIRC theres a bypass or secondary water path that the others dont have.
Yes, I put the pump recommended through O’Rilley, Advance Auto and Autozone, same pump. It matched the exact size of the one I had. I’m wondering if it could be the water pump housing?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yes, I put the pump recommended through O’Rilley, Advance Auto and Autozone, same pump. It matched the exact size of the one I had. I’m wondering if it could be the water pump housing?
Exact size doesnt matter, it has to match perfectly or it wont work right. I have no clue about the pump housing.

·
Rally Racer
2,187 Posts
I just moved from Los Angeles, CA to Vancouver, WA, half way through my trip my mazda started to overheat for a couple seconds then go back down. I replaced the water pump because I noticed a leak in it however, my mazda is still overheating and I’m noticing a small leak from the water pump area. What could this be?
Is it possible that you still have air trapped in the system? I had a bit of a struggle with this on my v6. I had to disconnect the hose from the overflow to fill with coolant and flatten every hose I could see/reach to free air. It kept purging for months after (albeit slowly).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would start by replacing the thermostat. When a thermostat goes bad they don't leak and they never make noise. A bad water pump will not cause a momentary spike in coolant temp. You will have chronic overheating problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts