Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***** MISSION COMPLETE *****

(below is my process log)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally acquired a (06-07) OEM JDM sports grille to do a test fit on.

Currently running into some fitment issues; which i plan to solve by modifying the grille.
The grille itself seems to line up pretty well to our usdm bumpers, the only problem is that our usdm bumpers' grille area flares upwards. This prevents clearance for the bottom half of the JDM grille. Also, the clips on the grille are completely useless to us as it clips in the opposite direction.

It looks like without the bottom portion of the grille, it should be able to fit.
Basically it needs to be cut so it looks like the USDM grille (with its missing bottom portion)

What do you guys think is the best option to cut off the bottom side? The grille is made of ABS plastic. I was thinking either taking it to a shop, or cutting it myself with a dremmel with a metal disc.

> (left) USDM, (right) JDM

>As you can see from the pictures below, the grille cannot be pushed down any further because of the bumper flaring upwards in the grille area.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some pics of the grille with the bottom chopped off, and hood closed.
Still not 100%, making alterations tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a small half-walkaround with my jdm grille on. Id say it fits 99%
The top is a bit tight, but its due to the differences in grille thicknesses between jdm and usdm.
Last thing i need to do is drill a hole in the back of the emblem area and ziptie it to the metal bar behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOreAgsmJK4

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good job H15A5H1! U Know, we've gone back & forth about this grill before. I'm glad u went for it, I think it looks like the Speed6's grill & it looks like a better fit than the OEM(they aren't perfect)! Can't wait to see her painted. Post pics when u do!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I finally took my 03-05 grille off my 06 b/c i just couldn't do it any longer. I had it tip tied and that worked for a while but the zip ties would break and i'd hear it flapping around and actually scratching my freaking bumper. I'd love to use this grill but i know it will have the same problem as it doesn't utilize the tabs we have to hold our grille down. I'd kill for someone to design that grill for the US 06-08 with tabs so it'll stick and no emblem.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (bumpin_blazer @ Feb 12 2009, 10:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1518748
I finally took my 03-05 grille off my 06 b/c i just couldn't do it any longer. I had it tip tied and that worked for a while but the zip ties would break and i'd hear it flapping around and actually scratching my freaking bumper. I'd love to use this grill but i know it will have the same problem as it doesn't utilize the tabs we have to hold our grille down. I'd kill for someone to design that grill for the US 06-08 with tabs so it'll stick and no emblem.[/b]
since i modified it to sit extremely flush, i don't get that flapping problem. the 03-05 grille doesnt fit at all so it has tons of moving space, even when ziptied. as for someone designing a grille for the US 06-08, youve been around long enough to know that it wont happen. the last time someone promised that they totally bailed on it.

QUOTE (SEN @ Feb 12 2009, 09:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1518738
Good job H15A5H1! U Know, we've gone back & forth about this grill before. I'm glad u went for it, I think it looks like the Speed6's grill & it looks like a better fit than the OEM(they aren't perfect)! Can't wait to see her painted. Post pics when u do![/b]
thanks! i think it looks A LOT better than the closed off / gill slits usdm sportsgrille. im getting the grille back from the paintshop this afternoon. i will update with photos soon!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Yeah I know lol. I bet you could find someone who would make that grille without a badge if we had one to give to them don't you think? I mean that point all they'd do is remove the circle from the middle bar and replicate the grille. It really does look very good though, if I can find another one I might buy it and send it to you for modifcation lol. Then I'd have to get a custom painted front emblem though and have my rear painted b/c the chrome doesn't fit my car.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
How was the quality of their work? Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks pretty damn good.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
i think the USDM 06 bumper is too round to sport the flat bar grill. the USDM grill does suck, and the JDM one does look way better, but it makes sense why they changed the grill for the USDM 06+ 6. it just doesn't flow as well. props to you for being the guinea pig and trying this out, though!

you should lower your car, man!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (bobbinka @ Feb 12 2009, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519040
you should lower your car, man![/b]
+1000 on the lowering. mazdaspeed coils coming up next. as you can probably tell i try to be as oem as possible lol.

QUOTE (achow87 @ Feb 12 2009, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519041
mad props for going through with this and getting it to fit. the finished result looks like it fits 100%

edit: if you got money, do it![/b]
no prob. i got fed up with everyone flaking on 06-07 projects. at least now, finally us 06-07 guys actually have a grille option.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
QUOTE (H15A5H1 @ Feb 12 2009, 10:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519215
+1000 on the lowering. mazdaspeed coils coming up next. as you can probably tell i try to be as oem as possible lol.[/b]
when you say coils, are you talking about springs? or are you saying short for coilovers? cause the mazdaspeed coilovers are not worth it. the springs, however, look great!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (bobbinka @ Feb 12 2009, 10:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1519216
when you say coils, are you talking about springs? or are you saying short for coilovers? cause the mazdaspeed coilovers are not worth it. the springs, however, look great![/b]
talkin bout coilovers. hm, i might just reconsider cuz everyone is telling me that!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Yea, the mazdaspeed coilovers are way overpriced, and you can't adjust stiffness either. For half the price, you could get Tein Basics, which do the exact same thing. Or you could spend the same amount on super streets (which is what i want, haha).

great pix! need to replace those little 194 bastards with some white ones, though!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts