Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Mazda 6 automatic, had a strange problem a couple times last weekend. Got in car and when I tried to start it I got nothing, no clicking, no lights on the dash. Tried again, nothing. Take key out and then try again and it started. Weird thing is the clock, radio stations, and mileage trip all reset and the cd changer cycles through. This happened once on saturday and once on sunday. Do I have a starter problem on my hands???Thanks!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,544 Posts
Sounds like the battery may be heading South. I'd take it to an auto parts store and have the battery tested to see if it's still holding a charge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Make sure battery clamps were cleaned before new battery, and check to see that they are tight. I have had intermittent contact at the post cause this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well good thing is it hasn't happened since Sunday morning, bad thing is I didn't do anything and still don't know what caused it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I am new to this site and I know this is an old post but I thought I would relay my experience in case it helps anyone who searches and reads this..feel free to repost in another area if it helps.

I had the same basic problem as described with my 04' mazda6 4cyl. One day the car would start fine and the next day it wouldnt even make a noise. Battery, alternator, neutral safety switch, starter relay, starter, and key imobiliser all tested fine so it frustrated me for days. Eventually took it to a dealer and they traced the problem to a corroded wiring harness leading to the starter. Apparently after 175,000 miles corosion started to build up around the wiring and the heat caused the connector to crack interupting the charge to the starter...dealer installed wiring harness, reprogrammed the remote and gave me a new key (lost one of mine) for under 350 bucks...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought I'd also pile on with my story. 2005 Mazda 6 manual transmission. Had a new starter installed a couple of years ago but sometimes the solenoid wouldn't fully engage on the first try. It would engage and start the car on the second try. My mechanic did a warranty swap for another starter. That didn't solve it, so I figured it wasn't the starter. It would only happen one or two times a week, but the car would start, so I just let it go. I figured that was a small price to pay given that I was pushing 100k miles. Oh, I also bought a new AGM battery around then.

Then, 2 weeks ago, I took a short trip to the store and when I came out, the car wouldn't start. This time, it was just like the OP described - Gauges lit up, radio worked, etc., but the solenoid wouldn't engage. Not even a click. Wouldn't jump either. I ended up having the car towed to my mechanic, and he diagnosed a bad battery. I swapped that one under warranty for a new one, and the car worked fine. For that day.

The next morning, New Year's Day, no start I put a charger on the battery, stayed home and crossed my fingers. It started the next morning and worked fine for two weeks until today. Same thing, everything lit up and worked, but no start, no click, nothing. So today I browsed this forum for ideas and eventually I found the problem - a poor connection at the solenoid. It appears the new starter(s) have a slightly wider blade which doesn't let the wire attach firmly. I ended up cleaning up the connection and making a few adjustments to the receptacle so that I had a firm connection. Tested it - it worked!

If it starts acting up in the future, I'll replace the connector with one that better fits the blade on the starter. Here's a case where it probably would have made a lot more sense to attach the wire to a stud with a ring connector and a bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts