Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying this one, I had to take it right in to replace the LF wheel bearing, and when I came to claim it, the shop said the rear pads are at or near 0%. With 205K, IDK if these are the original FoMoCo pads or if they've been done 1X, but that's not what I am seeking help with. I noticed that the rear rotors are what I would call miniscule considering the added weight of a wagon. I previously had a Mazda5, which was the Mazda3's 500 lb heavier chubby sister and Mazda wisely upped the rear rotors. Wondering if the Mazda5 rears could be changed over/if its been done/if there are other options before I install new parts that in the end I want to take off and upgrade.

·
Rally Racer
1,868 Posts
After buying this one, I had to take it right in to replace the LF wheel bearing, and when I came to claim it, the shop said the rear pads are at or near 0%. With 205K, IDK if these are the original FoMoCo pads or if they've been done 1X, but that's not what I am seeking help with. I noticed that the rear rotors are what I would call miniscule considering the added weight of a wagon. I previously had a Mazda5, which was the Mazda3's 500 lb heavier chubby sister and Mazda wisely upped the rear rotors. Wondering if the Mazda5 rears could be changed over/if its been done/if there are other options before I install new parts that in the end I want to take off and upgrade.
An interesting thought. Most of the braking is done up front so that is where your biggest gains will be.
The 6 has 280mm in the rear. The Mazda 5 uses 300mm and the mazdaspeed6 uses 314mm in the rears.
The wagon up front uses 280-295mm (depending on cut off date and sedan vs wagon) and the Mazdaspeed 6 uses 320mm (must have at least 17" wheels). For references the Brembo "Big Brake" kit uses 330mm up front.
I did a speed swap and the difference was amazing. I still to this day consider it my single best upgrade. whatever you do be sure to grab the hangars for the calipers. it is the mounting bracket that makes them work.

Over on the Fusion forums they talk about brakes from the Edge (07-09) as they are dual piston and 320 mm up front and 300 mm rear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts