Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here... so yeah!!

Guys, this might sound a little stupid... but I just can't help but ask this question... I am considering to get a 6. I am looking at two cars right now... an '05 mazda 6s and '03 mazda 6s... both are five speed manual.
My question is... is the '05 any better? I mean, I test drove both of them, but for some reason, I felt more power in the 03 compared to the 05.
When I got home and read an article on the internet... sure enough, it said that 03 has more hp and tq than an 05 or an 06. Is this really true?

Also, mileage on the 03 is about 36k and on 05 is arnd 25k... I don't know if this would help any!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
48 Posts
There's no difference in power between the 03 and 05. The power output supposedly changed for the 06 model (220hp to 212hp and 192tq to 197tq). The only difference between these two specific years lies with the transmission if it were an ATX (03 = 5spd jatco and 05 = 6spd Aisin), but since they are both manual I'd say take the 05 with less mileage. |:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
2003 is the first year of the car. Many people will say to not buy the first year model because it has more problems. So yes, I think you should buy the 2005 because it's newer, less mileage and also you're still covered with warranty for several more years.

BTW, I have 2003 with no problem. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!
Also, as I read through the forum here... there are many posts with the so called "dyno testing" and they are saying that 6s only has 178 whp? Is that really true? where is the rest of the hp going?
(sorry I'm really new to all this tuning and stuff... I was getting confused when I read that post...)

·
Registered
436 Posts
All cars have "driveline losses" that account for up 30% drop in horsepower as measured at the crank (published figures) to wheel horsepower (measured by a dyno).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All cars have "driveline losses" that account for up 30% drop in horsepower as measured at the crank (published figures) to wheel horsepower (measured by a dyno).
[/b]
so, does that mean that my m6s only has about 170 something whp? :huh:

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,572 Posts
so, does that mean that my m6s only has about 170 something whp? :huh:
[/b]
Give or take, yeah. But it's no different than almost all other cars on the road, which suffer the same HP losses due to the drivetrain. Getting the MTX (manual) is the better choice, as the HP loss is much lower than the ATX.

AFAIC, I think you should get the car that's what YOU want, in terms of options, colors, and the like. The differences between the '03 and '05 is negligible. Yes, the '03s may have a few first year "teething" problems, but there are many '03 owners on this forum that haven't had ANY issues. Buying any car these days is a risk, so you might as well get what YOU prefer. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ Awesome reply!
I am leaning more towards the 03 as it is a better deal! I will be going to the dealership today to pick it up! Got my fingers crossed!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts