Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I search brake squeal and it seems I am not the only one with a squealing 6.

my 05 6 has been squealing from only the right front wheel since, about November. Usually squeals a little more when its wet outside. At first it would only squeal when the car was moving, and the squeal would immediately stop when I hit the brakes. I immediately took it to the dealer, who could not reproduce the problem and said my brake pads looked fine and were wearing evenly on both sides.

The squeal will not go away, and now its seems to stay even when I hit the brakes. I've tried, but it's not something minor and can't live with it, so I took it to another dealership today and told them to keep it until it squeaks and if it doesn't squeak, call me and I will come up there make it squeak. They call me a few hours later and tell me they will be replacing the brake hardware and that should fix the problem. I ask the lady what a brake hardware kit is, and she can't tell me, all she knows is it has to do with the brakes.

I get home, google it, and it's a $6 nut. I'm kind of worried this might not fix the problem, but not sure what this "brake hardware" does either.

My 6 is about to hit 24k, ATX, and I'm not a lead foot, brake slammer, or brake rester. My right foot does all the driving. I have mixed opinions from friends on if I would require new pads with 24k miles. It's about 75/25 no/yes on the responses. If my pads were worn, I'd feel alot better about this and would just go buy some nice, less dusty brake pads and go on without a squealer.

I will hopefully get my 6 back tomorrow and I will report my findings. (I am stuck with a rental Kia Sodona minivan until then, and I think i might just die.)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've got the same issue. It just recently showed up. Started squealing shortly after I got my new tires (probably not related). At first it did it when I was moving and would stop when I hit my brakes. It seems to squeal more when turning to the right.

I was thinking it was my pads as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just to add to this. I removed the passenger's side front wheel to inspect. The odd thing was that I couldn't get it to squeak with the wheel off. It only seemed to do it with the wheel on. I tried cleaning the area with Brakkleen, but that didn't work either.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got my car back today. The tech notes say the "brake hardware" (a little nut looking thing) was scraping against the rotor. It looks like they also replaced the caliper and two pads. The inspection showed the pads to still be green.

Drove it home (about 15 mins) no squeaks. Took it out for some errands with the sunroof open and cringed at any noise I heard, so I guess I will be extra sensitive to ANY brake squeal now. But still none of the very apparent, nasty squeals.

We'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just got my car back today. The tech notes say the "brake hardware" (a little nut looking thing) was scraping against the rotor. It looks like they also replaced the caliper and two pads. The inspection showed the pads to still be green.

Drove it home (about 15 mins) no squeaks. Took it out for some errands with the sunroof open and cringed at any noise I heard, so I guess I will be extra sensitive to ANY brake squeal now. But still none of the very apparent, nasty squeals.

We'll see how it goes![/b]
Great. Well now I get to attempt to schedule my car for service. Grr. Wonder why they replaced the caliper though?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey not sure if I am fitting in this group or not.

I have a 2007 Mazda 6is and love the car. Except for the intense squealing I get when pulling my car out of a parking space (sounds like a rub squeal). And it only happens under 5mph. Dealer says its the pads...but I am not applying the brake...maybe they are still rubbing...they have tried all kinds of things to solve it but cannot. Its embarassing...brand new car and squealing.

Anyone else see this?

Rich
Tulsa,Ok

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey not sure if I am fitting in this group or not.

I have a 2007 Mazda 6is and love the car. Except for the intense squealing I get when pulling my car out of a parking space (sounds like a rub squeal). And it only happens under 5mph. Dealer says its the pads...but I am not applying the brake...maybe they are still rubbing...they have tried all kinds of things to solve it but cannot. Its embarassing...brand new car and squealing.

Anyone else see this?

Rich
Tulsa,Ok[/b]

thats what mine was doing as well. started squealing at low speeds with no brakes, and eventually moved all speeds, brakes and no brakes. I'm two weeks out and still no squealing after the brake hw was replaced. have em check it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, I have this too.
In my case, a brake clip shifted so that it touched the rotor, giving me a random squeal when driving around. A retaining tab on the brake clip had broken off -- so the clip would shift around until it contacted the rotor.

Got new hardware from the dealer yesterday (for $12 Cdn). The part has been updated -- it is now on revision D; apparently, I had revision A on my car. There's 4 retaining tabs now instead of the original 2, so it should be better.

I'll be fixing it (again :swearin: ) this weekend -- pics and a write up are coming.

·
Registered
154 Posts
OK guys,
I have fixed my particular brake squeal, maybe this will help you.

A few weeks back, my front right brake started to squeak at random times -- I noticed that in particular, it seemed to happen most when I was reversing, and when accelerating uphill, or when taking a hard merge ramp. But, it could come at any time... either braking or not, it didn't matter.

I found that a retaining tab on the brake clip had broken off, so that the brake clip contacted the rotor. Here's a photo:

[attachment=21890:rotor1_markedup.JPG]

And, here's a photo of what a non-broken brake clip looks like:

[attachment=21891:rotor2_markedup.JPG]

Replace this, and the squeal goes away.

[attachment=21892:brake_clip.jpg]

The Mazda part number is GJYE-33-29ZD, for a 2005 Mazda6 GT hatch, front brakes. The part description on the label is "Pad attachment".

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I just wanted to mention a few more things. This brake clip seems to have gone through a few revisions, it is now on Rev D. It has 4 of those retaining tabs -- the original part on my car had only 1. Part cost was $12 Cdn at the dealership. And finally, here's a How-To on working on the front brakes, courtesy of Mazda6Tech:
http://www.mazda6tech.com/Articles/Mainten...0&Itemid=49

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Quick question on those brake clips: Does it come as one clip for each part number ordered, or is it a pair of clips for each part number?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quick question on those brake clips: Does it come as one clip for each part number ordered, or is it a pair of clips for each part number?[/b]
You get 4 clips for $12 Cdn, enough to replace the clips for both front brakes. Canada and US dealers may be different though -- maybe give your dealer a call? ...I replaced all 4 on my car -- I figured it was dumb-dumb to only replace one side since I already paid for damn things, and already had the tools out, etc etc etc. The three old non-broken ones are now clutter in my garage.

Oh, and if you get creative with a mirror and trouble lamp (and maybe press your face up real close to the wheels :love: ), you may be able to actually see the clip contacting the rotor WITHOUT having to take the wheel off. Get down there on yer hands and knees, you'll see what I mean! There's enough space between the caliper and rotor, that if you look from a shallow enough angle, you'll be able to see the clip shifting over. At least, if it's shifting inwards like in my case... if the clip is shifting outward, you'll just have to eyeball it (compare it to the other side front caliper). Otherwise, once you've got the caliper off, it will be obvious.

Last note: in may case, the retaining tab didn't break off until later on in the process -- so, even if the tabs are still present, get down there with a mirror/flashlight and check it out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I had my brake pads replaced a few months back and ever since there's been squealing. The brakes have been checked multiple times since (rotors machined and all) and they find nothing wrong with them. So maybe if i replace the clips, the noise will go away.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No prob.
...remember to inspect it first though, before you go through all the trouble of getting parts and replacing anything.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 6 just started sqealing on the right side (not sure if it's the front or back... or both) when I brake.
Car has just over 21K miles on it... shouldn't this be covered under warranty? I don't think I should have to spend a dime on the brakes at this mileage. I'm not racing, it doesn't sound like what people are describing is normal wear & tear and the normal brake components (even pads) should last longer than this.
Am I being unreasonable?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 6 just started sqealing on the right side (not sure if it's the front or back... or both) when I brake.
Car has just over 21K miles on it... shouldn't this be covered under warranty? I don't think I should have to spend a dime on the brakes at this mileage. I'm not racing, it doesn't sound like what people are describing is normal wear & tear and the normal brake components (even pads) should last longer than this.
Am I being unreasonable?[/b]
Well on my 03' 6s I haven't been hearing any "squealing" but I have been hearing a "clicking"/"rubbing" noise coming from the left rear tire/brake... I absolutely cannot stand it..It makes me want to trade my car in....I replaced the brakes and greases everything.. then the "clicking" went away then came back..I just wish I could diagnose this or If someone here on the forums can help me out with some insight.... :tear:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The squeak, the "Bad" throttle body, the Recall & the new PP

Yeah, I have this too.
In my case, a brake clip shifted so that it touched the rotor, giving me a random squeal when driving around. A retaining tab on the brake clip had broken off -- so the clip would shift around until it contacted the rotor.

Got new hardware from the dealer yesterday (for $12 Cdn). The part has been updated -- it is now on revision D; apparently, I had revision A on my car. There's 4 retaining tabs now instead of the original 2, so it should be better.

I'll be fixing it (again :swearin: ) this weekend -- pics and a write up are coming.
May be having the same problem with our 2004 ...will take off the front wheels to check out the clip scenario. Thx for the pics.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I changed my brake hardware a month ago. I had nasty squealing from front left brakes. I changed the clips but also got those thin wires which keep the brakes apart when not in use.

This solved my problem. Can't believe I lived with this noise for almost 1.5 years.

2005 Mazda6 v6 wagon ATX

·
Registered
1 Posts

We'll see how it goes!
Can u send me the part number or a link to this. Experiencing same issues

1 - 19 of 19 Posts