Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my car for about a year. Every time I step on the gas really really hard I will hear a squealing noise when it switches from 1st to 2nd gear. The noise stops after 2nd gear.

If i accelerate normal and cruise at 60mph then punch it and jump to 80 mph the squealing noise happens again.

I can reproduce the squeal almost every time. It happens more when the AC is on.

I have taken it to the Mazda dealership once and they said "most likely it is the power steering pump". However they could not cause the squealing.

If I had to give a description of the squealing it sounds like a car when the belts are loose.

I am taking it again on Monday for another look.

Anyone have or heard of this issue...

One other thing...my car has been in the shop at about 8000 miles because of a faint knocking noise under the hood. You could only hear the noise when driving at low speed. 5-15 miles an hour. The Mazda dealer said it was some kind of valve problem and they had to order software to diagnose it. Then they fixed it after the software came in. Not sure to this day what really was wrong with the car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
mine does the same thing, they said it was a belt. but all my belts were fine. so they didnt do anything

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The squealing also happens when the AC is off. It is not often that I stomp the gas but when I do I hate to hear that noise.

Do you think anything can be done about this? Is their a reason that the Mazda dealership did nothing after they said that it was probably the belts....like replace them?

Do you think the sport stick transmission has anything to do with this. I don't seem to have the problem when I switch from automatic to maual.

I don't recall having the issue when using the sport stick...only automatic. I will have to try this tonight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you ever tried to take it to another dealership? It could just be a simple pulley adjustment to tighten the belts.
[/b]
That is a thought... I have not taken it to another dealership. Another weird thing that is starting to happen is my seat belt indicator comes on even when my seat belt is on. I have to reconnect the seat belt to make the diniging noise stop.

I am going to have them look at this too.

Arrgh!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Well I'd say if the one dealership is giving you the runaround, just try another one.

Also put your location in your profile, and visit the regional section to talk to other owners in your area about which dealers are good, and which should be avoided.

For example, in MD, heritage Mazda is good (QMD dealer), and in VA, rosenthal Arlington Mazda off glebe road is a good dealership for service.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'd say if the one dealership is giving you the runaround, just try another one.

Also put your location in your profile, and visit the regional section to talk to other owners in your area about which dealers are good, and which should be avoided.

For example, in MD, heritage Mazda is good (QMD dealer), and in VA, rosenthal Arlington Mazda off glebe road is a good dealership for service.
[/b]

Thanks for the info. I will update my profile too. I am in Chesapeake, Va and I take me car to First Team Mazda, Mitsubishi,Izusu and Hyundai and suzuki...

That maybe the problem....they work on all cars! They have done a pretty good job fixing the issues I have had..like the valve problem, the brake problem and cig lighter fuse burned out.

We will see what happens on Monday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the car dealership said they could not produce the squealing noise when I stomp on the gas...so I took the technician for a drive and made the car make the noise. He heard it and said that he would call mazda to see if anyone else reported the problem.

To make a long story short I got my care back with no solution to fix the noise. However they did some re-adjustments and I have not heard the noise.

I did not bother to ask details about the adjustments because I figured it would be on the service ticket but the service ticket said that the tech could not duplicate the noise.

·
Registered
109 Posts
bro i have an 04 5 speed ive looked into this problem too when i shift fast and really get on my car, if you search the forums you will see the squeal is normal, its caused by the air conditioning belt b/c there is no tensioner. i went to mazda too looking for a solution but they didnt know so they replaced the engine belt tensioner and one of my mounts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I read that it was normal operation but I firgured that mazda may have a fix for it. I did not see anyone that posted this issue with an 05, just earlier versions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an 05 6s and it exhibits the same problem, typically on a hard 1-> 2 shift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 03 6s atx have same issue, I visited dealership several times but they just said that is normal operation.
finally dealership replaced belt tensioner and the noise got better, but still i hearing the noise, especially shifting 2nd to 3rd in high rev.

·
Registered
109 Posts
yeah same exact thing, they replaced the engine belt tensioner on my car too and it got better but still no cigar. I dont think theres anything you can do about it the car squeals for the same reason it has crappy cable shift its not a honda lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah same exact thing, they replaced the engine belt tensioner on my car too and it got better but still no cigar. I dont think theres anything you can do about it the car squeals for the same reason it has crappy cable shift its not a honda lol
[/b]
FOUND THE SOLUTION!!! :drive: :drive:

I have had this problem since 20K+ miles and slowly but surely getting worse... I am at 43k miles now and can reproduce it almost everytime I step on the gas real hard. I took it to the dealer several times and they check the belts and the tension and it was fine so I had to go back home sad/angry everytime. Until my dad told me that belts tend to "crystalize" after a while, specially with a lot of heat. He told I could lubricate the belts to help with the problems.

I went to Advanced Autopart and got a "Belt Conditioner" can. It is red with a black cap. It is similar to a WD-40 can with the little red straw to direct the spray. I took out the engine cover (Plastic with Mazda logo on it) and unscrewed the coolant bottle and moved it out of the way (WITHOUT disconnecting the hoses). This will let you see the belt much better. WITH the engine off spray the interior part of the belt (wavy part) the best you can and spray some extra on the A/C pulley area since the squeaking only happens with the A/C on, at least in my case. Then I turned the car on and the A/C for about 3-5 minutes, shut off and spray some more.

I took the car for a spin....I floored it the best I could with the A/C on and no music....NO MORE SQUEAKING!!! THe can says to repeat every 3K miles...I might do that. GOOD LUCK GUYS! :yesnod: :yesnod:

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
[/b]
If this is with the A/C on, then it is the sound of the A/C clutch disengaging at higher rpm. Get the clutch replaced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
Balhar
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing