Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my woman needs a new car to go along with her new job, and we were first looking at 3's. However, with the current rebates, the Tribute is approximately the same price. Right now she's one signature away from buying an '05 V6, 4x2 with the step bars, cargo net, wheel locks, and all weather mats. Price is 19,786 after rebates ($3000 off!) and S-plan (her mom works for Ford). Seems like a whole hell of a lot more car than the 3 for approximately the same price. Is there anything I should know before we jump in? I drove it, and it seems real nice, better deal than the Escape and a longer warranty with Mazda. 4x4 would be nice, but we can't swing the extra money. Also, I'd love to have something I could tow my bike around with when we go on road trips. Any opinions are welcome.

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
Are you guys absolutely sure you can't swing for the 4x4?

Being where you are, I'm sure you guys get a fair amount of snow. If I were you, I'd feel a little more confident that my wife had the 4x4 in case the weather got REALLY nasty. If she uses the Tribute for her job, all the better!

Just my opinion though. That and the fact that we get buried with snow up here.

Other than that, it's a good find and a good buy. The Tribute is one of the best in class.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Give the RAV4 a look. We gave the Tribute a serious look for my wife but ended up liking the RAV better. Paid $18,500 for an '05. It's 4X2 as well, but the RAV has standard ABS, traction control, and electronic stability control. Plus it gets 30mpg highway. Wife loves the side hinged rear door instead of the liftgate since she's so short too.

Check out a comparison on edmunds.

RAV's a little bit smaller and lighter, but it actually has slightly more cargo space.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She doesn't like the looks of the RAV, and it's a 4cyl, right? I think I need the 6cyl for the bike towing aspect. How much weight will that RAV pull? I'm not too concerned about the 4x4 thing, since it's FWD. Compared to the 3, it should be GREAT in the snow. Not AS good as the 4x4, but much better than the 3. I just hate to pay extra in payment and gas just to get 5 days a year out of the 4wd.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
In my opinion, if the 4x4 is worth it if its doable bro. The RAV4 is a nice little mini SUV but i think the Tribute is bigger, and probably safer.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Originally posted by Confuc1ous@Jul 31 2005, 07:01 PM
In my opinion, if the 4x4 is worth it if its doable bro.  The RAV4 is a nice little mini SUV but i think the Tribute is bigger, and probably safer.
[snapback]472991[/snapback]​
Must be thinking of the older 2 door models. The current RAV is roughly the same size as the Tribute. They've got equal crash test ratings. The RAV also does outstanding in rollover resistance tests.

Also check out the Vue with that Honda V6 in it. I've heard good things from plenty of happy owners.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Originally posted by NoUse4Aname@Jul 31 2005, 06:14 PM
Must be thinking of the older 2 door models.  The current RAV is roughly the same size as the Tribute.  They've got equal crash test ratings.  The RAV also does outstanding in rollover resistance tests.

Also check out the Vue with that Honda V6 in it.  I've heard good things from plenty of happy owners.
[snapback]472998[/snapback]​

Vue's have lots of rebates on them now atleast in my area. my neighbor just got a 05 Vue Redline awd he said he paid 21.1k out the door. i am sure you could get a regular vue v6 awd under 20k with all the discounts and rebates they have going on

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Jul 31 2005, 10:17 AM
Well, my woman needs a new car to go along with her new job, and we were first looking at 3's.  However, with the current rebates, the Tribute is approximately the same price.   Right now she's one signature away from buying an '05 V6, 4x2 with the step bars, cargo net, wheel locks, and all weather mats.  Price is 19,786 after rebates ($3000 off!) and S-plan (her mom works for Ford).  Seems like a whole hell of a lot more car than the 3 for approximately the same price.   Is there anything I should know before we jump in?   I drove it, and it seems real nice, better deal than the Escape and a longer warranty with Mazda.  4x4 would be nice, but we can't swing the extra money.  Also, I'd love to have something I could tow my bike around with when we go on road trips.  Any opinions are welcome.
[snapback]472609[/snapback]​
MZ, I am sure that I can get her a better deal! Call my boy @ Mazda of Wooster, ask For Bill and tell him Marlon referred you! She may be even to get the 4X 4, they are a small dealership, as I bought both of my 6's from them, They work on our modded cars without question, in fact the loved my CPE intake.

I used my dads S-plan for both of our cars! I am sure they will meet or even beat any deal you have. The best thing is I did everything on line, they even delivered the car to my office. This delearship is giving you a $4500 rebate, plus the S plan discount on top of that.....if I were you I would call my man Bill.....I am sure you will not regret it!

http://www.mazdaofwooster.com/pages/specials.html This link is to their specials, you'll see the $4500 discount on the Tribute.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Originally posted by NoUse4Aname@Jul 31 2005, 08:14 PM
Must be thinking of the older 2 door models.  The current RAV is roughly the same size as the Tribute.  They've got equal crash test ratings.  The RAV also does outstanding in rollover resistance tests.

Also check out the Vue with that Honda V6 in it.  I've heard good things from plenty of happy owners.
[snapback]472998[/snapback]​
I drove the Vue redline, that thing is awesome.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Originally posted by Confuc1ous@Jul 31 2005, 08:19 PM
I drove the Vue redline, that thing is awesome.
[snapback]473077[/snapback]​
yup i drove my neighbors, for a "saturn" that have some balls even though its powered by a honda

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Unforunately the Honda V6 doesn't fix the rest of the glaring problems with the interior and exterior of the VUE :barf:

GM should have just parts-binned their 3.6 litre V6 instead.

I like the Tribute better than the RAV4 myself... while the RAV4 has a slightly larger cargo area, you have to remove seats to get to it versus just folding them.

I also prefer a V6 to a 4-cylinder in overall feel and driving. Reliability has been better than average for both Escapes and Tributes. If you want something a little plusher... consider the Mariner twin... it's a nice posh little package.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva@Aug 1 2005, 12:32 PM
Unforunately the Honda V6 doesn't fix the rest of the glaring problems with the interior and exterior of the VUE :barf:

GM should have just parts-binned their 3.6 litre V6 instead.

I like the Tribute better than the RAV4 myself... while the RAV4 has a slightly larger cargo area, you have to remove seats to get to it versus just folding them.

I also prefer a V6 to a 4-cylinder in overall feel and driving.  Reliability has been better than average for both Escapes and Tributes.  If you want something a little plusher... consider the Mariner twin... it's a nice posh little package.
[snapback]473568[/snapback]​
I completely agree...the Vue is horrible looking...and together with the huge panel gaps & crappy interior...I'd pass.

I think the Escape/Tribute/Mariner are definitely the best mini-utes....I would go for the 4wd version if at all possible.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by msumlin@Jul 31 2005, 09:45 PM
MZ, I am sure that I can get her a better deal! Call my boy @ Mazda of Wooster, ask For Bill and tell him Marlon referred you! She may be even to get the 4X 4, they are a small dealership, as I bought both of my 6's from them, They work on our modded cars without question, in fact the loved my CPE intake.

I used my dads S-plan for both of our cars! I am sure they will meet or even beat any deal you have. The best thing is I did everything on line, they even delivered the car to my office. This delearship is giving you a $4500 rebate, plus the S plan discount on top of that.....if I were you I would call my man Bill.....I am sure you will not regret it!

http://www.mazdaofwooster.com/pages/specials.html  This link is to their specials, you'll see the $4500 discount on the Tribute.
[snapback]473055[/snapback]​

Well, I'm familliar with the rebate you speak of. $3000 of it is for everyone, and $1500 of it is only if you finance through Mazda credit. Well, WITH her dad cosigning, they came back with some bullshit of 8.9%!!! So needless to say, that ain't gonna fly. My credit union hooked her up for a great rate, as well as bi-weekly payroll deductions. S-plan is s-plan, unfortunately. Even the dealer down in Columbus that sold me my 3, my 6, and my mom's RX8 couldn't do anything better than the one up here. Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate it. We almost went down there the other day, but we decided not to after all. This 4x2 has everything she wants. So we're gonna take this one with the $3000, and let the other $1500 go in lieu of a much better interest rate. I'm not sweating the 4x4. it's a couple days a year and the snow removal systems are really good over here with the liquid deicers and whatnot. Besides, gas prices are going nowhere but up, and the 2wd is a bit better, and that's more important 365 days than the 4x4 is a couple days a year. This car won't be doing any offroading :D

And as for that Vue, I hate the thing, and she does too. I bet it drives fine, but it looks like shit IMO.

We're taking delivery of the Tribby tonight. I'll post some pics, that thing is freakin' nice. This will make my family's 4th Mazda in 1 year :D

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My wife has a 05 tribute and we love it to death! Great car, I think its build better then the 6.. We are having one problem right now; it has 11,000 miles on it. She drives it like crazy! It got stuck in park and we where unable to get it out of park. I guess some part went out on it...took it the shop and they don’t have this part in stock..ok......and the best part is they are on back order with no due date to be in!! They said it might be in late AUG or later they don’t know...free rental car! But other then that it's a great little SUV

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome, that's what I like to hear. What color do you have? This one is called Violet Grey, or Stormfront Grey. It's really sharp, and I'm not really into SUV's.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Aug 1 2005, 05:01 PM
Well, I'm familliar with the rebate you speak of.  $3000 of it is for everyone, and $1500 of it is only if you finance through Mazda credit.  Well, WITH her dad cosigning, they came back with some bullshit of 8.9%!!!  So needless to say, that ain't gonna fly.  My credit union hooked her up for a great rate, as well as bi-weekly payroll deductions.  S-plan is s-plan, unfortunately. Even the dealer down in Columbus that sold me my 3, my 6, and my mom's RX8 couldn't do anything better than the one up here.  Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate it.  We almost went down there the other day, but we decided not to after all.  This 4x2 has everything she wants.  So we're gonna take this one with the $3000, and let the other $1500 go in lieu of a much better interest rate.  I'm not sweating the 4x4. it's a couple days a year and the snow removal systems are really good over here with the liquid deicers and whatnot.  Besides, gas prices are going nowhere but up, and the 2wd is a bit better, and that's more important 365 days than the 4x4 is a couple days a year.  This car won't be doing any offroading :D

And as for that Vue, I hate the thing, and she does too.  I bet it drives fine, but it looks like shit IMO. 

We're taking delivery of the Tribby tonight.  I'll post some pics, that thing is freakin' nice.  This will make my family's 4th Mazda in 1 year :D
[snapback]473798[/snapback]​
No problem, Ijust got my co worker a new Trib and she loves it..........she had leased a Lexus RX300, but she wanted he reasonable SUV...she has a nice 4X4 fullly loaded for $22,300 out of the door...I know she'll appreciate the vehicle...we have two 6'S and will probably purchase a Mazdaspeed 6 next year..... hopefully we can have a meet with all of the Ohio 6's can get together!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Aug 1 2005, 01:35 PM
Awesome, that's what I like to hear.  What color do you have?  This one is called Violet Grey, or Stormfront Grey.  It's really sharp, and I'm not really into SUV's.
[snapback]473844[/snapback]​

we got the Titanium color one fully loaded...I like to drive it, it's a fun SUV..not to big and not to small. the gas isn’t that bad either as if it was a bigger SUV like she wanted at first...thank god we didn’t get that....Chevy Tahoe!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We just took delivery, it's Tribute S V6 with wheel locks, cargo net, and step bars in Violet Grey. It sure is fun to drive! Lot of car for that price man. Thanks for all you guys' input.

BTW, it looks WAY cooler than the Escape her parents drive :D

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
heres our 05 tribute....its just the 2.3l (its more powerful than you think!!) with the leather interior...since we were upsidedown in the pt we traded in for it, she had the option of tricked out interior or, v6...since my wife is nothing about having a ton of power, she went for the leather...;)

btw love the hell out of our miny monster, great to drive, and sure has one hell of a nice interior. and the 2.3l has alot of power for being a little 4-banger! :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
12 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing