Mazda 6 Forums banner

05 leather front seat warranty replacement(s)

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Lapis Man 
#1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone else experienced problems with their heated leather seats that have required warranty replacements? In my 05 6s, the foam (or something else) shifted underneath the heated leather drivers seat and pressed up against the leather seat cover. It almost looks and feels like there is a piece of piping stuck under the leather in an "S" shape - it starts at the front center of the seat and works toward the back of the seat and is around 3/8 inch in diameter.

I had my seat bottom replaced once under warranty, and within a month, the replacement is exhibiting the same problem in an identical location. Additionally, the foam in the left side drivers bolster is exhibiting the same problem and will be also be replaced for the first time. These are not just the normal scars from the leather wearing - this is a structural problem.

Is there a known quality problem with the heated leather seats on the 05 6s and has anyone else had this problem? I have had this car since Nov 04 and have only 12k on it, so its not like I even drive it often. I weigh 230 pounds which is heavy, but still I don't think that is enough weight to cause this problem.

Thanks,
Tony

See less See more
#3 ·
Am having a similar problem on the driver's side right seatback bolster, two weird lines that look as if there is a wire or tube running underneath the leather.

Another question for y'all on the seats. Have you noticed that some of the bolsters appear to be separating from the seat bottom/back itself? On both my passenger and driver side, at least one of the bolsters is a little "off," with a gap in the foam between the bolster and the actual seat bottom/back cushion. It's as if the foam in these pieces separated. Is this common?

I need to take the car in on something else, so I'll have to ask them about this.

#4 ·
I had my seat cushion replaced for this exact same reason. What you are seeing is the heater which sits below the surface.

As for the bolster, I don't have that problem. But, I am very careful when I get in and out, based on what I read here. You can't just slide over and crush it. Instead make sure you pick yourself up over it.

So, get it fixed, and be careful in the future!

#6 ·
Once my new seat arrives at the dealer, I will see what other information I can get out of them regarding this issue. This does not bode well for the long term quality of this interior, and I do not want to have issues after my warranty is up (granted, this is not for a while). I can't imagine what it would cost to replace a seat that has airbags in them. I agree that the bolsters are crap too.

m6roop: Unless you have taken that seat apart, there is no way that you could have caused that problem. Try another dealer.

#7 ·
I am having similar problem with my 6. I-10 Mazda in Indio, Ca. is going to send me to an upholstery shop to have the foam repaired rather than replace the entire power driver's seat.

Do you think that this wise? Or should the seat itself be replaced with a factory fresh replacement?

Alex

#8 ·
I am having similar problem with my 6. I-10 Mazda in Indio, Ca. is going to send me to an upholstery shop to have the foam repaired rather than replace the entire power driver's seat.

Do you think that this wise? Or should the seat itself be replaced with a factory fresh replacement?

Alex
[/b]
You may almost be better off with them trying to repair it. If it doesn't work, tell them to replace it, but trust me, replacing it is not necessarily foolproof either. I am on my 3rd seatback for the bolsters separating. It is just a crappy design. They redesigned the seats in the 06/07, and they are better from what I have seen.

#9 ·
You may almost be better off with them trying to repair it. If it doesn't work, tell them to replace it, but trust me, replacing it is not necessarily foolproof either. I am on my 3rd seatback for the bolsters separating. It is just a crappy design. They redesigned the seats in the 06/07, and they are better from what I have seen.
[/b]
Oops !! I would force the dealer to replace it under warranty. My 06 6S Grand Sport also had the same problem with the seat bolster just (pop) and stopped working. I am a big guy (about 245 lbs.) and thought that it was me. However, the dealer said I am the second one they have seen and the other customer is like 165 lbs. They ordered the seat back without a sound and will be replacing under warranty and offered me a car for the day. :zzz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.