Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I got this car the trans seems to make a humming/whirring sound that constantly breaks up in 1st through 3rd. It recently started to go away, but it reappeared this afternoon. The car has 123k miles on it and it has been regularly serviced. Another thing to note is that the trans will slip when accelerating hard in 4th and up (3rd when cold outside). Is this all just being caused by the clutch/flywheel, or is this something bigger? I know that it will probably be needing a new clutch soon, but I don't think that sounds like these can be caused by a worn clutch. I need confirmation. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ever since I got this car the trans seems to make a humming/whirring sound that constantly breaks up in 1st through 3rd....
Can you please expand on what you mean by "... that constantly breaks up..."?

Re the transmission slipping event in 4th or higher gears (when car is at temp), or in 3rd and higher gears when the car is cold: for sure that is the clutch. Almost always, when the clutch is worn out, it will slip in the higher gears when a heavy throttle is used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you please expand on what you mean by "... that constantly breaks up..."?

Re the transmission slipping event in 4th or higher gears (when car is at temp), or in 3rd and higher gears when the car is cold: for sure that is the clutch. Almost always, when the clutch is worn out, it will slip in the higher gears when a heavy throttle is used.
When I say "breaking up," I am referring to the sound described. It's like the noise is constantly going in and out in short, random intervals between 1/8th and 1/4th of a second. The rate at which the sound breaks up is quicker when accelerating and slower when decelerating. The sound is not present when the clutch is depressed.

·
Rally Racer
2,270 Posts
When I say "breaking up," I am referring to the sound described. It's like the noise is constantly going in and out in short, random intervals between 1/8th and 1/4th of a second. The rate at which the sound breaks up is quicker when accelerating and slower when decelerating. The sound is not present when the clutch is depressed.
First off, I confirm your diagnosis of bad clutch. Slipping in higher gears is a classic sign. The "whirring" could be an artifact of the worn clutch and in fact minor slipping could cause this too. If you heard the sound when shifting I would suspect the throw-out bearing or cover springs (fingers).
If you are doing the clutch yourself then take a feel of transmission input shaft (bearing) when it is out. My guess is that things will be much better (even remedied) when the known faulty parts are replaced.
Clutch cover (pressure plate), disk, throw out bearing, and flywheel resurface. Possibly rear main seal and oil pan gasket if there is any leaking evident. Flush and re-bleed the clutch hydraulics and you should be good to go.

Nice wagon BTW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, I confirm your diagnosis of bad clutch. Slipping in higher gears is a classic sign. The "whirring" could be an artifact of the worn clutch and in fact minor slipping could cause this too. If you heard the sound when shifting I would suspect the throw-out bearing or cover springs (fingers).
If you are doing the clutch yourself then take a feel of transmission input shaft (bearing) when it is out. My guess is that things will be much better (even remedied) when the known faulty parts are replaced.
Clutch cover (pressure plate), disk, throw out bearing, and flywheel resurface. Possibly rear main seal and oil pan gasket if there is any leaking evident. Flush and re-bleed the clutch hydraulics and you should be good to go.

Nice wagon BTW
I'll have to get my grandfather to help out if I do it myself, since I only have experience with working on my old 66 mustang i6. I've been big into cars since I was little (18 btw), but I've never really wrenched on anything important. Better safe than sorry lmao. You have a nice wagon too. The fitment and stance is spot on. Love it man

·
Rally Racer
2,270 Posts
You will find transaxle removal a "joy" I'm sure. No one likes it. Seems you would need an engine support frame... Others???
a solid block under the engine pan and a transmission jack would do the trick. One could be purchased from Harbor Freight, used, and then sold second hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts