Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I desparately want to add a cold air intake to my '04 Mazda 6S. I have about a 50/50 split on people telling me to go with the short RAM or the standard air intake. I know the pros and cons but people have shown me DYNO info both ways to support their argument. Im not giong to beracing anyone anytime soon. I travel a lot and wouldnt mind a little more pep or slightly better gas mileage since gas went up to 3.10/gal.!!!!!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Dyno's always give a slide edge to short ram's because there is a 40 hp 100,000 CFM fan blowing on them, and no engine bay is heat is trapped to heat them up.

Move to the street, and short rams become heatsoaked which generally results in IAT temps exceeding 30-40F higher then ambient, vs about 10F higher then ambient for a CAI. Every 10F higher = 1-2% less horsepower.

The only time you should ever be running a short ram is if you can't fit a CAI anywhere. If you are worried about hydrolock, you should just skip intake mods period.

Now someone could be inventive and take a short ram and enclose the intake cone in the stock airbox as a self-made heatshield, with some sort of ducting to the wheel well and get the best of both worlds, but most people don't like cutting up parts used to return a car back to stock.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
you cannot go wrong with the CP-E MAFci system. noticable performance improvements & no CEL. http://www.cp-e.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing