Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy oh boy, I thought my car was great at first, especially for what I paid. But now that I've been looking at several things on this forum (as far as mods, and upgrades go) and man, do I have a lot to do.

Last night I did the good ol' airbox mod, removing the baffles. How it makes the car sound *that* much better is beyond me.

Tonight I decided to start the ERG mod. (or EGR, I forget..) But in removing the intake manifold, and the throttle body, I've snapped two hoses that I haven't been able to find out what they do.

I take it I should post in the gen 1 engine section with pictures?

Cheers,
Slowcarfast

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Welcome! Head on over to my 1st gen poll too and vote for the wagon if you don't mind.

http://bit.ly/2DdP7nK

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! When you get your permissions... head over to the wagon love thread and post us up a photo!
Absolutely! Previous owner didn't exactly treat her like the baby she is, so there's a couple *bad* rust spots at the wheel well 😞

Welcome! Head on over to my 1st gen poll too and vote for the wagon if you don't mind.

http://bit.ly/2DdP7nK

Thanks 🙂. Voted 👍

·
Registered
440 Posts
Boy oh boy, I thought my car was great at first, especially for what I paid. But now that I've been looking at several things on this forum (as far as mods, and upgrades go) and man, do I have a lot to do.

Last night I did the good ol' airbox mod, removing the baffles. How it makes the car sound *that* much better is beyond me.

Tonight I decided to start the ERG mod. (or EGR, I forget..) But in removing the intake manifold, and the throttle body, I've snapped two hoses that I haven't been able to find out what they do.

I take it I should post in the gen 1 engine section with pictures?

Cheers,
Slowcarfast
Welcome! I too have an 04 wagon. Is yours automatic or manual? You've probably already read to change the PCV valve while you're in there. And with the manifold off do the coils and plugs. I haven't done the airbox mod but am toying with the idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! I too have an 04 wagon. Is yours automatic or manual? You've probably already read to change the PCV valve while you're in there. And with the manifold off do the coils and plugs. I haven't done the airbox mod but am toying with the idea.

Mine is an automatic aha. I actually haven't read anything on the PCV valve 😮
I probably should do the plugs, as the ones in the front bay are practically toast. Sadly, it'll all have to come off again shortly because of my valve cover seal/gasket leaking.

The airbox mod made a MASSIVE difference in sound for me, but I also have my whole rear interior stripped... So I hear every difference in sound from the exhaust. 😛

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mine is an automatic aha. I actually haven't read anything on the PCV valve 😮
I probably should do the plugs, as the ones in the front bay are practically toast. Sadly, it'll all have to come off again shortly because of my valve cover seal/gasket leaking.

The airbox mod made a MASSIVE difference in sound for me, but I also have my whole rear interior stripped... So I hear every difference in sound from the exhaust. 😛
Cool! What DIY thread did you use? The only ones I've ever found here were dead links or ones with all the pictures missing, etc. Never a good one with pics intact.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool! What DIY thread did you use? The only ones I've ever found here were dead links or ones with all the pictures missing, etc. Never a good one with pics intact.

It took me about an hour to find it the first time... I've now bookmarked it, because it's not its own thread.

https://forum.mazda6club.com/showthread.php?263077&p=3542919&amp=1#post3542919

If you look at #2 and the link on #3 , it makes it VERY easy.

Took me about 10 mins to remove the airbox, then like 5-10 removing the baffling. Putting it back took 2 mins at most.

Hope that helps!

·
Rally Racer
1,760 Posts
It took me about an hour to find it the first time... I've now bookmarked it, because it's not its own thread.

https://forum.mazda6club.com/showthread.php?263077&p=3542919&amp=1#post3542919

If you look at #2 and the link on #3 , it makes it VERY easy.

Took me about 10 mins to remove the airbox, then like 5-10 removing the baffling. Putting it back took 2 mins at most.

Hope that helps!
A nice throaty intake sound. Dont forget to cap off the vacuum line to avoid a CEL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A nice throaty intake sound. Dont forget to cap off the vacuum line to avoid a CEL.

I love it. Ah.. that'd probably be a good idea, wouldn't it. I'll get on that right away. I thought it was weird to just leave it open, but it wasn't mentioned so I just didn't know 🤷. Thanks 🙂

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
hurddawg
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing