Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is most likely an issue some of you will be able to identify quickly. My 03 v6 has 91k miles. All the recent cpu upgrades as far as I know. I cranked it last night and the cel comes on. The car idles fine and revs normal. But, when driven it sputters and cuts out as if it has a misfire. I don't have a code reader and don't want to risk driving it to the dealer tomorrow. I checked all fuses. Any ideas on what this could be?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Im having the same problem did you recently fill up your gas tank? i believe its bad gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always buy gas from the same place and filled both cars up on the same day. No prob with the other car. Not sure but I don't think it is the gas.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sounds like a throttle body issue to me. Find someone in your area to scan the code or possibly even swap TB's to see if that fixes it. Unfortunately you'll be looking at around $200-$250 or so for a replacement since you're out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The dealer is also going to charge u 90 bux diagnostic fee. I do have a scanner but im in jersey less u wanna drive up here heh.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The dealer is also going to charge u 90 bux diagnostic fee. I do have a scanner but im in jersey less u wanna drive up here heh.
[/b]

I think AutoZone will lend you a scanner to check your car...if there are AutoZones on the East Coast.

Like all great aviators say..."always check your 6." :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you been fittling with your intake lately? I just installed my Injen CAI and in the middle of driving my car also began to studder and choke out and lost complete power. I got out and realized i had forgotten to tighten everything down. And the intake slipped off. check to make sure your intake is on tight and all hoses are secured.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I was having the same problem be sure to check your spark plugs. I just changed my spark plugs and im not longer getting the sputtering and cutting out that i used to. Now keep in mind my car has 32k miles usualy platinum spark plugs dont go at 32k miles lol but i guess anything is possible. Try changing ur plugs.

·
Registered
780 Posts
^^^ i had a similar issue, and I was also told that it could have been bad gas. The problem was loose connections with my CP-E maf.

But, on mines, there is still stuttering, and that is when i pass the quarter tank mark. Anyone else have that stuttering when they're low on gas? tb issue or fuel pump? --the way i resolved this was filling up when i hit just was the quarter tank mark.. (43K miles on the clk here)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
well i did change the plugs and it got rid of most of the issues. it still happens sometimes.. Maybe the autolite plugs sucked that i put in or something.. I did put in platinum plugs..im prolly gonna order NGK iridiums and put that in. how many miles did you have on ur car wgreene?

·
Registered
156 Posts
^^^ i had a similar issue, and I was also told that it could have been bad gas. The problem was loose connections with my CP-E maf.

But, on mines, there is still stuttering, and that is when i pass the quarter tank mark. Anyone else have that stuttering when they're low on gas? tb issue or fuel pump? --the way i resolved this was filling up when i hit just was the quarter tank mark.. (43K miles on the clk here)
[/b]
I've had the same idle dipping problem a few times also. Usually while at a light idling, the day after running with very low fuel. I cleaned the MAF sensor and CPE intake filter, it went away but came back months later. I haven't checked the CPE MAF connections. Yesterday evening I was also running the car basically on fumes (no gas). This morning on my way to work, I filled the tank. I was waiting at a light, and the idle starting doing it again. When I cruised off and got to around 45mph, the firing of the engine got a little sporadic, and then the CEL started flashing. I got to work, wrote down the CEL codes from my scanner, then cleared them. When I left work, not a single issue on the way home. I put some Redline Fuel System Cleaner in the tank just in case. I think since the fuel filter is not servicable, it may be sucking up dirt at the bottom of the fuel tank. I would say it is the throttle body issue others have mentioned, but the fact it has happened after low fuel driving is suspect. I would like one of those revised "BB" throttle bodies regardless, but don't want to deal with dealerships.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
ive had a similar issue (and there was a discussion last i was here, like 6-8 mo ago) with the rpms randomly dipping while idling. well, it finally threw down other day on me. was a big shudder, then cel and then i guess went into a 'safe mode' or something because no matter what gear i put it in (man tran) it would not go over 35mph and the rpms stayed between 1500 and 3000 (would not go lower or higer). took it in to dealer (only a year old), they called a few hours later said it was the throttlebody. they say its working fine (havnt picked it up yet, still working).

·
Registered
959 Posts
AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts normally have scanning tools for your usage. They provide them as a rental and/or sometimes they can scan your car in the parking lot free of charge....

EDIT: WOW THIS THREAD IS OLD!!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
SANDMAN.3
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing