Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in for a smog check on my 03, and it didnt pass. The guy told me that there really isnt anything wrong that the computer just "says" that the air to fuel ratio is not matched up. I have an injen cold air intake on it. He also said because of the intake that if I were to get a computer chip for it that that would make things right again. Any thought? What if I were to wrap a hand towl around the intake for a few miles until the engine light goes off? Would this restrick air flow enough to put the car closer to original air to fuel? At least until I get a passing inspection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Your most likely gonna have to get the cp-e fix, which will adjust the A/F ratios. Or you can put the stock intake back on and get it rechecked and then swap it out. Kind of funny the guy told you to chip the car though

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Must be nice not to have to pass a visual inspection. In Cali they'd have you cut to pieces and put on display before offering advice like that. I'd just put it back to stock and pass the test. If you do change back to stock you may want to reset the computer and drive for a couple of days before retrying the test.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice. Problem with changing it back to stock is that I had the intake installed a year ago by someone else. I moved three times since then (once into the droms at a college) so I wasnt able to keep the oem parts. Call me an idiot, I know. That is why I was wondering about wrapping the intake cone a few time with a clean wash rag and securing it with a couple rubber bands to get it closer to the original air intake specs. Just enought to get the light to turn off and long enough to take it down to get a hopefully passing inspection. If not I might have to see what I can do to get the cp-e fix your talking about. How do I do that? Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I am convinced. I will have to get that as soon as I can afford it. Money is a little tight right now. Thanks for the link. I went ahead and wrapped my cold air with a hand towl and put rubber bands around it to hold it. I suffered a few scrapes and bruises doing it though it was a little tight. I unplugged the battery while I was doing it so everything could reset. I did a little running around today and the light went off and stayed off. I can feel the power loss, but not to bad. It is just temporary until I can get to the smog place on Monday. I will let you know the results. If it works it will be a pretty effective result if anyone else has smog emission problems with a CAI.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just incase you are interested. I took it back down tonight and got the smog check done again and she passed. So the towl around the CAI is a temporary fix. Now I just need to make enough money so I can get a chip and the cp-e fix that was mentioned earlier. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts