Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all mazdaheads ^^
So I've been trying to add an AUX input on my 2002 Mazda6, alas, without any luck...
The problem is, I can't even get the TAPE/MD button to work - I've jumped pins 1 and 13, I've soldered the 0 Ohm resistor on the HU (L716 mod), but it still doesn't do anything, I don't even hear the beep when I press the button.

Maybe someone could shed a little light on connecting pins 1 and 13? I've found this diagram:

Pin 1 is 2A, pin 13 is 2M, so basically, according to this pinout, I'm connecting common ground to nothing and that should enable the media button? Shouldn't pins 8 and 9 (2H and 2I) be used to actually enable the aux input?
Also, does someone happen to know the pinout for the connector that sylfex uses? This one: (This is not my HU...)

I figured that if my only chance on getting aux is to buy sylfex or something like that, why not make one myself? As far as I know sylfex is nothing more than a board with a little preamp on it - it amplifies the signal and feeds it into the actual HU, so it shouldn't be too hard to make one. In fact, you could make one and spend not more than 20$...

·
Registered
522 Posts
The DIY has only managed to get working on the 06-08, sylfex I believe has a chip on theirs that is programmed to act like a cd changer. Don't think you can do this without a circuit board.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DIY has only managed to get working on the 06-08, sylfex I believe has a chip on theirs that is programmed to act like a cd changer. Don't think you can do this without a circuit board.
Really? I've read on this very forum, as well as some others, that a lot of '03s and '04s have it up and working, most of those just needed the L716 mod. I figured my '02 shouldn't be any different.
Either way, I might be wrong of course, but the chip on sylfex board is just an opamp, not a programmable chip. And the HU doesn't really care what is attached to it, as long as it gets an analog audio signal fed into it from cd-changer module or whatever. I'm assuming it's an opamp because a lot of guys who did the aux diy thing with cd rom audio cables complain about low volume levels - sylfex users, however, don't. Probably the IC on HU needs a stronger input signal to get the maximum amplification.
Thanks for the reply though ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Most of the diy thread I've seen is full of people trying it and it not working, in that thread it's been said many times that it's only for 06-08.

You seem to know a lot more than me about the electronics part, maybe someone can chime in that knows a bit more than me. If you do get it working there are a lot of people that would probably like this, but even people with 05's haven't seemed to be able to get it to work.

Good Luck :)

This is the thread I was referring to: http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical-lighting-audio/225354-diy-3-5mm-stereo-bose-system.html
I've not read the whole thing to see if there are older ones with it working, but it's stated many times to be 06-08 only, hope you get it working.

Reactions: jankanolv

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess the HU on 06s-08s is slightly different.

Right now I'm thinking of adding an aux input straight to the amp. Shouldn't be too difficult to do this, however, the right thing to do would be to build a simple preamp for each channel, but I don't really have time for that right now.

Things would be a lot easyer if I could get my hands on circuit diagram of the HU, but that's probably not going to happen :D

Another thing I'm willing to try is to add aux input to the AM radio part of the HU. This too would be as easy as soldering three wires on the HU, but I don't have any information on where the AM part is located. Also this would only give mono sound - stereo broadcasting on AM waves is rarely used.

Anyhow, I'll try the aux straight to amp thing and will keep you guys updated ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have an auxmod installed and working in my 2003 6S.. didn't have to do anything other than plug the aux mod into the port, and run the audio wire. I've never heard of a 2002 mazda6... do you have the euro Atenza?
No, it's 2002 mazda 6. They started producing mazda 6 in 2002, as far as I know. So I guess mine is like one of the first 1000 ever produced.

An update on the DIY AUX:
I've found another way of adding aux input on a russian forum. I'll try that one out, see if it works properly and if it does, I'll do a tutorial on how to do that. It does however require some soldering on the HU as well as making a simple circuit out of few resistors and capacitors.

2nd update on the DIY AUX:
Well, I got my AUX working alright, you can all congratulate me :D The method I found on the russian (ukrainian actually...) forum worked :) Well, kind of... The problem right now is that neither the radio nor the cd player works :( I might have missed something or a wire might have come off of the HU, because the guy on that forum claimed that his radio and cd player is working. I'll look in to this during the next week, as for now, I'm happy with what I have :D
Here's a link to what I did to my HU:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vguc75jrndhufre/mpIruV3SSl
It's only pictures and no explanations, when I figure out how to turn the radio and the cd player back on, I promise to make a proper tutorial on how to do this ;)
Here's a link to the ukranian forum I mentioned before:
http://www.mazdaclub.ua/forum/index.php?showtopic=67660&st=20

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Really? I've read on this very forum, as well as some others, that a lot of '03s and '04s have it up and working, most of those just needed the L716 mod. I figured my '02 shouldn't be any different.
Either way, I might be wrong of course, but the chip on sylfex board is just an opamp, not a programmable chip. And the HU doesn't really care what is attached to it, as long as it gets an analog audio signal fed into it from cd-changer module or whatever. I'm assuming it's an opamp because a lot of guys who did the aux diy thing with cd rom audio cables complain about low volume levels - sylfex users, however, don't. Probably the IC on HU needs a stronger input signal to get the maximum amplification.
Thanks for the reply though ;)
The L716 mod is only for some 2004's in the US and some late model 2003's in Europe.

The aux diy only works for 06-08 unless you swapped an 06-08 hu into a 03-05.

The auxmod or grom or xcarlink are still the only ways to get an aux plug in for 2005 and below while keeping all normal functions of the headunit and all being plug n play.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The L716 mod is only for some 2004's in the US and some late model 2003's in Europe.

The aux diy only works for 06-08 unless you swapped an 06-08 hu into a 03-05.

The auxmod or grom or xcarlink are still the only ways to get an aux plug in for 2005 and below while keeping all normal functions of the headunit and all being plug n play.
You might be right, yet I have my AUX working :p I haven't had the time to look into it all, and, yes, my radio and cd-player aren't working as of right now, but I'm pretty sure I can get them back working and keep the AUX working as well. I just need to figure out where to interrupt the radio or the cd input to preamp and feed the AUX input into it. This can be done with a simple switch.
My point here is - if AUX input can be added by installing the sylfex, xcarlink or whatever, it can also be added manually, meaning you can save money and get the same outcome ;)

Update:

So I got my hands on service manual of the HU.
First of all, I have found out that sylfex wouldn't even work on my HU, because neither of the channel inputs on the 15pin connector are connected to the input selector on the HU (IC201). Those are the pins I'm currently using for AUX input.
Second thing is - I think I have figured out a way to enable the AUX input without losing my CD and Radio :) An HQ picture of both sides of the sylfex board would come in real handy, so if anyone could provide me with that, I would be very grateful. I'm not really sure if I can get the TAPE/MD button to work, but I think it's possible to enable the input by adding another physical button. Also, there is no need for the external filter board I made - there is a place on the HU MOBO that's ment for that. It's located to the right of the 15pin connector, however there are no components there, at least on my HU.

I'm going to try and apply all the stuff I've figured out some time this week, so wish me the best of luck :D

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.