Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but when I coast with my foot off the gas in gear having the motor slow it down, the fuel consumption displays 0 - yet if i put the clutch in and coast and let the engine idle, it shows varying fuel consumptions. Does the computer actually reduce the fuel to near zero or is this just a display issue ??

Thanks much !!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
When you step on the brake, it does the same thing right? I haven't used that function in awhile.
You're getting negative miles to the gallon, I guess.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It actually does shut it off, unless it senses the cat getting cold. At least that is how engine management works on other cars, and I would assume on this one as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuel shuts off

It actually does shut it off, unless it senses the cat getting cold. At least that is how engine management works on other cars, and I would assume on this one as well.
Our head mechanic (#1 Mazda tech in Canada/#3 in N.A. a few years ago) tells me that the fuel is actually shut off when coasting in gear.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
I've got a 2010 Mazda 6i automatic and when I'm coasting in gear my instantaneous mileage reads 99.9 mpg.
Same thing as Zero consumption in the Metric Countries...
That's exactly what I thought the OP meant as well.

It helps if everyone takes a moment to put their location in their profile, so other members at least know where they're coming from. It's not like you have to put your complete street address, just a city (and state or province) would work...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts